Thursday, May 30, 2013

Chemo #3

Getting ready to go give cancer another beat down!

Chemo #3
Yesterday was round 3 of 4 of my "Chemo from the Red Planet". For those of you who may be wondering, the actual going and getting chemo is a piece of cake. I go and sit in a comfy chair, husband and mom by my side. My Chemo Fairy, Jamie, sticks the IV in my alien port and starts two bags of anti nausea meds. That takes about 45 minutes, give or take. The port is awesome, because I don't feel a thing! No needle pricks or pokes, no weird sensations as the IV enters my vein. Jamie also makes sure that I'm comfortable, offers snacks and blankets.
Next, Jamie comes in suited up to give me my Red Chemo. That one, she slowly injects into my port through a huge syringe. That only takes a few minutes. Then she hangs the bag of the other "Outer Space Juice" for the IV and starts that. That one takes about 35 minutes. Then I'm all done and free to go home. That usually means stopping for some much needed nourishment on the way, followed by a LONG nap.
So far, from the long list of terrible chemo side effects they warned me about, this is what I've encountered:
- Hair Loss: was tough at first, but once I shaved my head, it wasn't so bad. Not having to shave my legs or pits is pretty nice too.
- Fatigue: lots and lots of naps. Sometimes even the smallest things take a lot of my energy; taking a shower and getting dressed, putting on make-up, visiting with friends... Even sitting at the table to eat lunch or dinner is sometimes followed by me resting my head on the table for a minute or two. Frustrating at times, but I'm learning to listen to my body.
- Number Two: let's just say, I've had to become a prune eater.
That's about it for side effects. My appetite is good for the most part. Some days I'm always hungry and could eat a horse. Other days, less is more. There are a few foods I've lost my taste for (peanut butter, chocolate, coffee), but I'm hoping that they will eventually come back. I also have a bit of chemo brain and my attention span isn't what it used to be. I'm hoping that will come back too!
So, that's where I'm at in my fight. The really good news is that it's working! I'm going in next week for an ultrasound to see just how much we've beat down on this stupid tumor! I'm pretty sure it got a major ass kicking yesterday! I'll keep ya posted!


The Faces of Chemo: Day 29
Kickin' Butt!
#cancerisstupid #WonderWoman

No comments:

Post a Comment